When it comes to ROI, some channels are just more effective than others. Knowing the effectiveness of each channel puts you in control. For example, did you know that one channel has an open/read rate of 42%? Or that recipients of content sent via this channel purchase 28% more items and spend 28% more than those who do not? Which channel is this? It’s direct mail. Surprised? You shouldn't be. Here are nine more statistics about direct mail that you should know.
- 41% of direct mail recipients look forward to checking their mailboxes each day. (Source: Gallup)
- 73% of American consumers say they prefer being contacted by brands via direct mail because they can read it whenever they want. (Source: Epsilon)
- Direct mail offers a 29% return on investment. (Source: Marketing Charts)
- Consumers aged 45-54 are the demographic group most likely to respond to direct mail pieces. (Source: Data & Marketing Association)
- 80–90% of direct mail gets opened, while only 20–30% of email does. (Source: United States Postal Service)
- Only 44% of people can recall a brand immediately after seeing a digital ad compared to 75% of people who receive direct mail. (Source: Marketing Profs)
- Direct mail requires 21% less cognitive effort to process than email. (Source: Ipsos/Canada Post)
- Brand recall is 70% higher for consumers exposed to direct mail ads than to digital ads. (Source: Ipsos/Canada Post)
- 30% of Millennials say that direct mail is more effective at getting them to take action compared to 24% who say the same of email. (Source: Direct Marketing News)
Think direct mail is a marketing rock star? We do, too! Talk to us about creating your next direct mail campaign.
Editor’s note: Thanks to Small Business Genius for compiling many of the stats cited here.